Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dissertation ...and all its academic mess...

I got my weekly traffic report just a while ago. I had totally forgotten about the fact that I hadn't update my blog in a while. Not that there are any readers who bother keeping an eye on the Oh so interesting articles that I post.

What I realised was that I had not kept my mind preoccupied with unnecessary thoughts for a while. They say an idle mind is a devils workshop! Believe me, its better left idle rather than put on overtime work writing up a dissertation ( 10,000 word research essay). The whole last 3 months of mine have been completely wasted writing up an academic style essay. I am not cut for academics. But then, is academics cut for the real world?

I have been toiling over the last few months, trying to understand the nuances of building an online community of high net worth individuals. It started with me writing up a business plan for an online network for doctors. Two investors found this idea very interesting and were keen on taking it up. I guess that's when it dawned on me that this idea had a lot more potential than I had initially attached to it. Further, I worked with an Doctors.Net, an organisation in the UK, that has been running an online service for doctors. What I learned over that past few months has been mind blowing to say the least.

While attempting to put that understanding on to paper, I ended up losing half the interesting facts. Applying all the LSE formatting and academic references ended up destroying the paper, with me falling asleep by the time I read half way through my first draft.

Right now, I sit half awake in front of my pc, trying to wrap up this dreaded paper - hoping against hopes that it passes all the LSE's academic requirements for a dissertation paper. The other half of my brain is praying that Lehman doesnt screw up my work permit and that I can start work on the 8th of September as planned. Until then, I feel like a Zombie - more dead than alive.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: