Monday, April 28, 2008

Conversations with Steve and Ash about ADMIS

Well, there have been a lot of questions about ADMIS as a course, the job scenario in London, and what-not being posted up in public formus. Let me try and make an attempt to give you an unbiased and honest reply. Unbiased in the sense, the answer is well thought out, researched and understood and hence not biased due to ignorance. Additionally, these are the thoughts that I bounced of Ash and Steve, and the wholeheartedly agreed with me. I shall try putting pen to paper and discuss the course and the job markets in London.

Last night, I ran up all the way to tower bridge to bid farewell to Ash. Met Steve (Prof Smithson) and Richard( ran cus Tooley street was closed: the cuase attributed to a burst pipe and hence flooding: Folks you gotta check out Brahmaputra floods: now that what I call flooding). Slap! of I needed that for digressing from the topic!

Getting back to the questions, let me take it bit by bit.

First, about the course. The course gives you a very socio-political view of Information Systems. There are 3 courses -IS 470,471 and 472. 471 is more about system design and hence is a lot more about OOPS and Methodology and Software Design practices, a cake walk ( not entirely ) for all those budding software engineers.

But then there is IS470 and 472. These are two course that would blow you apart. I would request Prof. Angell to put up bits and pieces of his opinion of the "nightmare on the net" which would be his first class. This should give you a perspective of what you would expect in 472. Trust me, the first class would leave everyone in shambles. You would leave the class thinking, O Why Why why? did I take up IT. I should have been a bloody cobbler or a blacksmith or something. Never will I use a computer again. But then, when you reflect back, you get to see the light at the end if the tyunnel. There is hope, and it is this hope that would take us all a long way.

IS470 - Social Study of IS. This is a theory paper. But it seriously lets you analyse any situation and gives you the theoretical basis to justify yourself. Let me give you an example. I was working with a particular company for a bit of my research work / business plan. Lets call this company xyz. The CEO of xyz came over to LSE to have a meeting with Ian, Ash and me. I was able to comprehend his problem scenario and was able to give my justifications for possible course of action that they could take thanks to 470. Now these included advice on Organisational change to operations to outsourcing to people management to politics to user acceptance of technology to diffusion to infinity. I made a mistake early on, in that I did not take 470 seriously - thanks to my engineering background I ended up scoffing at anything to do with theory. But it was this lightbulb moment in Ian office that made me understand the value of that course. Moreover, in my honest opinion, I know I will have a better understanding of the course only once I start work. The only thing that is required is to REFLECT and THINK.

In summary, ADMIS is excellent ! Why? Beacause it teaches you, at the very least to THINK, and at the same time leaves you with a million new perspectives that you would never come accross in any other course or university.

Now, the next is regarding the job market scenario!
First, are you coming here with the ultimate aim of getting a job in one of the top companies? Fair enough, thats what most ( if not all of us Indians) aim for. But believe me, after this course, a consultancy post at one of the top 4 is going to be the first offer you would turn down, amongst the many that you would get. Now, I am not claiming that it is easy to get a job here. No on the other hand it is difficult. But then, if you have a good strategy, then I can assure you that its not impossible, and afer a bit, it becomes all too straigtforward (not simple).

This is infact, the best time to be in the financial capital of the world. Perhaps, if you are looking for a job as in investment banker, you might find it difficult to come accross openings here. Rememeber thers is a slowdown - London has not come to a standstill. But then look at the broader picture, there are so many other jobs out there. Starting from consultancy, technology, Strategy, regulation ,security, risk, audit and lots more. More than anything, if you read the newpapers you would understand that the industry here is re-structuring. I feel the Accounting and Finance folks would find it hard to get a job here, but ADMIS folks would find themselves overwhelmed with opportunities. What the market is looking for is fresh new perspectives - and where else can they find that -@ ADMIS

But then, its not all that simple. You need to cosntantly think, reflect, be confident and be aware. If so, then the course would load you with the right perspectives (and you would be able to use it as well )to be able to find your way through any interview. Have a strategy, APPLY IT, and start early - as early as September / october. The ideal time frame is if you finish all applications by October ( at the latest). Have a look at some of the applications - decide on what kind of jobs you want , Ibanks, consultancies, technology compnaies, audit etc - then write a few sample applications and covering letter - prepare an impressive CV (which has the right keywords) and you will be fine. Learn to think long term and be confident. Confidence comes with preparation and hard work.

My serious doubt is, after IS490 atleast 10 of you would even think of starting your own company. In that case, all these worries about job markets, interviews and applications dont matter does it ? ;)

That has been a whole lot of positive feedback from me. And if it comes from me, then it would be better than the picture that I have painted

In case there are still more queries / unanswered questions doubts / leave a comment ! Will ( try ) and get back at the earliest.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: