Monday, April 28, 2008

Recession and MSc admission trends

Today, I had a very interesting conversation with Prof.Angell. He brought to my attention, the admission trends in universties. Universities in general offer admission to a surplus number of students becuase not all of them end up joining - a very straightforward scenario. For eg out of every 50 student given an offer only about 40-45 turn up. However during the last recession, this did not work out. 185 students joined the course instead of 145 as none of them turned down the offer.

What is interesting is the recession gives students all the more a reason to take a year off, take up a higher degree and wait till the market gets back on track. This is the way the world works!

Given this , LSE has another advantage. Its essential to understand that the important thing is the LSE name, not just the course content. Then it's up to you to leverage it. If you go to some Mickey Mouse university, then the course content matters a lot more.

I am sure all the courses at LSE are first class. However, I reserve my judgements
to ADMIS alone as I have (nearly) completed this course and find myself in a position to comment on its quality. The course has been thought provoking and inspiring to say the least. I started this course with one perspective - a hard functionalist , engineering perspective of the world - and today, I leave with a very enlightend social outlook on matters. I am able to judge situations better and understand implications of various scenarios. To top it all, the number of contacts, opportunities and learning that I take back with me is immense. Not bad at all for an MSc degree !

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: