Sunday, May 11, 2008

Complexity is Opportunity - (to me the unwanted opportunity to fail ! ) why cant exams be simple !

Well the status may or maynot make sense ... but my idea is pretty simple .. why cant exams be a simple task... rather why exams in the first place ...

Revising Burrell and Morgan's four paradigm for Monday's paper got me thinking ( what to do , I am an Angellist... I think ! but, I do agree thinking on the day before the exam is a waste of time... and so is blogging .. but then .. what the heck)

The education system follows the functionalist paradigm: those who believe that there is a science of society as phsysics is a science of nature. Functionalists say that social reality is governed by immutable laws of causality that can be discovered through the scientific method, based on unbiased observation, supported by empirical evidence, and then used to advantage to explain and build cohesive and stable structures in society: the fundamental tenets of social engineering. And out of this fundamentall flawed thinking has risen the notion of exams and the education system. THey believe : feed the students with input -> take an exam -> test the output . the output decides how good or bad we are and if we are ready to take on the world.

Senseless? Hurrah to B&M !

Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Govind said...

hmm

Govind said...

Ash,
I beg your forgiveness for using this title.. I was frustrated with the exams and your title was playing around in my head...and hence the post :D